Secrets to successful online writing
- Less is more - around 500 words or less, if possible. Online readers scan - they don't want long sentences or paragraphs that run over 10 lines. In the column format, a paragraph that might look short in your Word document may appear long online.
- Simple is better - use as few words as possible to keep your sentences short.
- Less punctuation (semi-colons, colons, multiple commas).
- Kick-ass first paragraph to grab the reader's attention right away.
- Enhance by using links. If your article refers to something else that can be found on the web, link it. Readers like the movement and interest of links.
- Lots of white space keeps attention drawn to your writing.
How I think about editing
I imagine that every AAP newsletter editor has taken a different approach to the editing process. I want to share my way of thinking about it with you. It is my burden and my truth that I am an English fanatic and feel driven to fix misused apostrophes, awkward sentences, and misspelled words. I was the spelling champion of my grade every single year from first grade all the way through my senior year in high school. I'm sure I can blame that on my parents, because in my family, the only way to get love was to over-achieve. Despite years of therapy, I am still deeply influenced by that.
So I will be editing, rather than just collecting, the articles you send. I do promise to do my best to be respectful in this process.
Linda Tillman, Your AAP Newsletter Editor
No comments:
Post a Comment