This summer there was a brief but lovely interchange on the AAPnet which centered around our membership: the ebb and flow of those who join; musings on why we appeal to some and not others; and the steady, slow, methodical work that has been done by the outreach, retention, membership and mentoring committees.
As 2014 comes to a close, I do want to report a bit about our numbers. In this past year we have processed 14 applications for membership and we have 5 more to be considered at this EC meeting in Austin. If all are approved, that’s 19 new members for 2014!! As of September 1, 2014 we have a total of 180 Full members, 105 Life members, 8 Associate Members and 2 Student Members.
Our application and reference process is fully digital, reactivation is painless and we are now vetting members in the Associate member category for attendance at SW. We have a new handout for easy reference extolling the “Benefits of Membership” and we have begun to track those who qualify for the honor of life membership certification. I want to express my gratitude to the mentoring committee: Laura June, David Loven and Giuliana Reed and especially to the membership committee: Denise Castro, Dairlyn Chelette, Susan Diamond, Susan Jacobson and Sandy Ebrahimi. I also want to recognize the community at large for their willingness to accept the change that new members bring while retaining the integrity of the whole. I look forward to 2015!
Nelia Rivers, LCSW
AAP Membership/Mentoring Chair

No comments:
Post a Comment